Tuesday 11 January 2011

DAN PHILLIPS AND THE RECYCLED VERNACULAR

Picture by Michael Stravato for The New York Times

I saw this really cool, short lecture on recycled architecture today. The guy giving the lecture was Dan Phillips, a builder of Huntsville, Texas, who devotes his time to creating very cheap, environmentally friendly, energy efficient and quite cool-looking houses out of up to 80% recycled materials. One of his strategies for creating beautiful houses out of recycled materials, is repetition. 

"That serves me every day. Repetition creates pattern. If I have a hundred of these, a hundred of those, it doesn't make any difference what these and those are. If I can repeat anything, I have the possibility of a pattern, from hickory nuts and chicken eggs, shards of glass, branches. It doesn't make any difference."

Here's an NY Times article about Mr. Phillips as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...